If you are experiencing a sharp pain that radiates from your lower back to the back of your thighs, you could be suffering from sciatica. Sciatica causes severe pain and can deteriorate your quality of life. However, chiropractic care can help. At Ewing Chiropractic LLC of Stockbridge, GA, we can help you get sciatica pain relief, allowing you to go on with your everyday life.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica pain occurs when the sciatic nerve — the longest and thickest nerve in your body — becomes pinched or inflamed by a herniated disc or other causes. The pain worsens when you make movements like twisting or bending. Sciatica affects 10 to 40 percent of the American population and is prevalent in adults aged around 40.
Symptoms of Sciatic Nerve Pain
While burning or shooting pain that radiates from the lower back to the legs is the classic symptom of sciatica, other symptoms include:
- Numbness in the back of the leg
- One-sided pain that affects one leg
- Posture induced symptoms
- Loss of bowel control
It’s worth noting that any pain that radiates from the lower back to the legs isn’t necessarily sciatica. Sciatica pain is specific pain that forms when the sciatic nerve is irritated.
Causes and Risk Factors of Sciatica
Sciatica is a symptom of an underlying condition. Some causes of sciatica pain include:
- Herniated disc: A slipped or ruptured disc may compress the sciatic nerve, triggering pain that radiates from the lower back.
- Osteoarthritis: Bone spurs can form as one ages, compressing the sciatic nerve.
- Injury/trauma: An injury to your lower back may cause misalignment of the spine that may compress the sciatic nerve, triggering sciatica pain.
- Obesity: Excess weight causes excessive strain on the spinal muscles that may cause back strains and other back issues that may irritate the sciatic nerve.
- Pregnancy: The baby's weight may put a strain on your back, triggering lower back pain. Additionally, hormones released during pregnancy may loosen ligaments that hold the vertebrae together. Without strong ligaments, spinal discs may slip, putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Occupation: Jobs that require heavy lifting, repetitive muscle movement, and sitting for too long could trigger back pain problems that result in sciatica.
Sciatica Pain Treatment
While sciatica pain can be debilitating, chiropractic care can provide relief. Chiropractic treatment uses drug-free, non-invasive techniques, eliminating the side effects of medications and surgery. When you visit us, our chiropractor will use one or a combination of the following techniques to treat sciatica pain.
- Chiropractic adjustment: This technique aims to reposition the spinal vertebrae to reduce compressions on the sciatic nerve. Spinal manipulations align the spine to reduce pain and improve your range of motion.
- Heat and cold therapies: Heat therapy reduces the tension of stiff muscles while cold therapy slows down blood flow, reducing inflammation. Both effects reduce sciatica pain.
- Chiropractic massage therapy: Massage therapies provide a soothing sensation that alleviates sciatica pain and reduces tension.
Visit Our Chiropractor for Sciatica Pain Relief
If you are suffering from sciatica, we can help. At Ewing Chiropractic LLC in Stockbridge, GA, our chiropractor can alleviate your pain. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call us today.